The objectives of NEDA, as per the National Entrepreneur Development Act No. 17 of 2006 Section 13 are as follows,
- Stimulate the growth, expansion and development of Sri Lanka economy by encouraging, promoting, and facilitating small and medium enterprise development within Sri Lanka.
- Stimulate and encourage the establishment and operation outside Sri Lanka of enterprises designed with a view to internationalize domestic enterprises capable of penetrating foreign markets for the fulfillment of the objectives of this Act.
- Formulate policies, plans, promotional incentives appropriately designed and effectively support and promote trade and development in industry and agriculture.
- Empowerment of people of human capital development with technical skills as an integral component of enterprise development.
- Develop infrastructure facilities required to meet the development needs.
- Facilitate the access of entrepreneurs to finances required for enterprise development and operation.
- Establish a Technology Development Fund to promote research and development in connection with product development technological enhancement and commercialization of patents,
- Facilitate regional economic development.